It seems the trendy thing to do this season is to pretend that everybody hates Cam Newton because he’s black, and it confuses the hell out of me. I mean, I get why a lot of people have ripped on him in the past… His college history is pretty damn sketchy and his early pro years have been littered with issues of constant sideline sulking or over celebrating during blowout losses. But nobody really cares about that shit anymore because his team is awesome and he’s been an absolute thrill to watch all season.
In fact, whenever I talk with friends, go out in public, or even peruse the internet, I can’t find anybody (outside of Falcons and Saints fans) that doesn’t like Cam Newton. As usual, Big Daddy Drew Magary hit the nail on the head when he summed up America’s collective opinion on the matter . Where all these supposed HATERS are coming from, I have no earthly idea.
Apparently they exist in large numbers, though, because Newton’s got a lot of questions about his critics this week. In one of his responses yesterday, he dropped this bomb…
I am an African-American quarterback that scares people because they haven’t seen nothing that they can compare me to.
Umm what? There’s no other black quarterback we can compare you to? Okay Cam, you’re on! I’m gonna give it my best shot…
- Warren Moon – the trailblazers of the black QBs, but nobody under 40 actually saw him play in his prime, so Cam’s statement that we “haven’t seen” a comparison to him technically rings true for a couple of generations
- Randall Cunningham – absolute dynamite in NFL Blitz 2000, also was punter which is pretty dope, but he tore his ACL once and that took like 3 years to recover from back in the 90s. You can’t blame Cam for playing in the better era
- Steve McNair – maybe the toughest QB of all time and unparalleled leadership skills, but Cam is still alive
- Donovan McNabb – I thought he was pretty sick back in the day, but maybe Cam thinks Rush Limbaugh wasn’t being a complete moron about our biases back then
- Daunte Culpepper – Cam is basically a clone of the Madden 02 cover… Same size, speed, and arm as Culpepper, but Cam hasn’t blown out his knee yet
- Michael Vick – most exciting dual threat QB of all time until, you know…
- Colin Kaepernick – started in the Super Bowl three years ago, but was only successful in one type of scheme (albeit the same offense Cam runs in Carolina)
- Russell Wilson – started the last two Super Bowls, but apparently is not actually black enough to be considered a real black quarterback
Damn. Maybe Cam’s on to something… What a pioneer!